19/09/2017 by Lee
25 Movie Lines That You’ll Instantly Identify The Movie With
So there is a meme doing the rounds on Tumblr and Facebook asking for people to post a line from a film that one would instantly be able to recognise the film that it comes from. Sounds like fun right? Yup.
Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun! – Monica Geller, Friends
It’s not that I want to discourage anyone from participating and it really doesn’t matter but I thought it was a clever thought exercise and everyone is doing it wrong!?!? Well not everyone but there are people just cutting and pasting whole sections of the scripts into their comments. Also, people are straight up getting the quotes wrong, I’m not even talking about spelling or grammar, but the whole quote wrong, I mean Google is RIGHT THERE!?!?
So in order to settle my OCD on the matter and to offer anyone who would like to take part but don’t know any quotes themselves a cheat sheet, I thought I would put together a decent list. Now because rules are fun I’ve added a couple of restraints, can’t contain the film’s name or a major character’s name. The aim is to find the shortest, simplest line from a film that clearly identifies it for anyone who has seen that film. I’m not including the film list because that would seem to make the activity redundant but I’m happy to field enquiries.
- You’re going to need a bigger boat.
- I feel the need, the need for speed.
- That rug really tied the room together.
- Life finds a way.
- …you’ve gotta ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?
- 1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
- Get to the chopper!
- Bring out the Gimp.
- He slimed me.
- Hasta la vista, baby.
- Show me the money!
- That’s no moon…it’s a space station.
- Wax on, wax off.
- If you build it, he will come.
- Mama says, “Stupid is as stupid does.”
- Yippie-ki-yay, motherfucker.
- Game over man. Game over!
- I’ll have what she’s having.
- You can’t handle the truth!
- I’m the king of the world!
- I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!
- That’ll do, pig. That’ll do.
- These go to eleven.
- I see dead people.
- Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.
So there you go, 25 perfectly usable quotes, checked for spelling and accuracy that you may feel free to copy and paste into the movie quote meme. I tried to put in a nice mix of films and there’s only number six is a little longer than I’d like. I think I probably could have dropped it to just “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk? and still have the desired recognition. Also, number 16 identifies a couple of films in the franchise but I think the first is still the most obvious.
Remember people if we’re going to play the internet memes on the Facebook let’s do it correctly 😉